Dear Loved Ones:
Merry
Christmas! Our family sends our love and
we hope that all is well with each of you.
Austin
is still playing lacrosse and skiing every chance he gets; he is still exactly
as tall as his dad (although Cameron refuses to go back to back with him
anymore, just in case); and he is still eating us out of house and home. He plays hard, and he works hard too. He started a job at Zupas this year and
continues his window washing business as well.
He is such a great kid, but sometimes suffers from a condition we like
to call “teenage brain.” When this
happens, we assure him that he is the very smartest airhead we know. He is so
incredibly bright. He really is. However, as I drove him to the DMV last week for
the third time this year because he lost his driver’s license (again!), I asked
myself how this could possibly be. The
kid gets straight A’s. He uses electives
to take foreign language and AP history classes for fun. He
reads the entire newspaper every single day and understands much of what is
happening in the world better than I do.
And yet, there we were, explaining to the lady at the DMV that, no, we
didn’t have his social security card, because he left it in his pocket, sent it
through the wash, and it is now a pile of lint.
Like I said… teenage brain. But,
oh my goodness, how we love him. He is
leaving us next summer and we can hardly bear the thought. We went to see “Meet the Mormons” a couple of
months ago, and the end of the movie shows a family saying goodbye to a
missionary. All of us (even the little
girls) were a bit of a mess, realizing that we would soon be that family saying
goodbye to our son and brother for two whole years. As the movie ended, we wiped our tears and I
said to the kids, “Well, we know we love him.
We really should be nicer to him.”
We are working on that.
Ashleigh
will be 15 at the end of this month, which means that we will have another
driver on our hands. I’m not sure my
heart can take it, so I’ll probably send her out with Dad for driving
lessons. She used to be interested in
everything, but seems to be narrowing her focus lately. I think she would rank her favorite things as
such: 1. Clothes; 2. Friends; 3. Clothes; 4. Shoes; 5. Clothes; 6. (maybe)
Family and 7. (definitely) Clothes. You
should see her bedroom. Granted, I make her share a room with Ellie, and that
means fairly tight quarters for both of them, but still! When the kids were younger, I would bring
“Mr. Gunneybag” (a giant black garbage sack) to the toy room if they wouldn’t
clean up and he would “eat” all the toys they left out. After a probationary period, they were given
the opportunity to earn their toys back by doing extra chores. Well, Mr. Gunneybag’s tastes have changed of
late, and he now spends most of his time in Ashleigh’s room eating a steady
diet of clothes instead of toys. Teenage
stuff aside, she is still pretty awesome.
She is fun to be around, kind to everyone (even bossy little siblings),
and generally very helpful. She can tend
and cook and bake like a pro (minus her chocolate banana cake last year –that didn’t
work out so well). She LOVES to read,
especially historical romances (translation: cheesy chick-flick books). She is
playing lacrosse and particularly enjoys her cute cleats and yellow stick. She sings in the choir at school and has more
friends than I can keep track of. We
really do love her to pieces.
Hayden
is in sixth grade. I can’t seem to wrap
my mind around the fact that he will be in Junior High next year. Time is flying by… way too fast for me. He is
working hard in school, but his favorite part of every day is football at
recess with friends. Most days, I get a
play-by-play when he walks in the door.
His BYU obsession continues. Last
year, I went to a basketball game with Cameron and ended up sitting next to
Bronson Kafusi (BYU defensive lineman).
I simply could not resist asking him to be in a picture with me so I
could brag to Hayden when I got home. It
wasn’t weird at all. I’m sure Bronson
gets lots of requests to take pictures with middle-aged moms (at least, that is
what I told myself). Two weeks later,
Hayden went to the basketball game with Cameron. At half-time, I received a text with a
picture of Hayden sitting next to Taysom Hill (BYU Quarterback). He had one-upped me and he knew it! He could not have been more pleased with
himself. Hayden plays lacrosse (it seems
to run in our family), but loves all sports.
After the world cup, he asked to have his hair cut like Cristiano Ronaldo. He googled a picture and took it to Great
Clips. They did a pretty good job and he
got lots of compliments. One stranger
told him his hair was “ninja awesome,” and his Sunday school teacher made his
day when he commented that he looked like Ronaldo. My personal favorite was when a store clerk said
that his haircut was “sick” and Hayden just beamed to hear such wonderful
news. What a funny boy.
Ellie
is eight and doing great! She is super
smart and has a vocabulary that amazes me.
In preparation for her baptism in September, the bishop requested an
interview with her one Sunday morning in August. We were running just a minute behind, so when
we pulled up to the church I said, “Ellie, you need to hustle, or you are going
to be late.” She asked, “What does
hustle mean?,” and I answered, “It means hurry up.” She looked at me, rolled her eyes and said,
“It’s hasten, Mom. You mean
hasten.” Duh. She announced at dinner recently that when
she grows up she is going to have two kids and name them Walter and Ruby. When I asked why just two kids, she explained
that she only wants to pay for a two-bedroom house and she wants a slug-bug for
the family car. Now that is planning ahead. She
is fun and feisty and still keeping us on our toes. This summer we spent a day at Six Flags while
on vacation in Southern California with extended family. Each kid had twenty dollars to spend on a souvenir. Ellie had purchased a stuffed animal earlier
in the day and named it Rocco. That
night she decided to spend the rest of her money on a smaller version of the
same stuffed animal. She left Cameron in
the store to purchase the “baby” and came running out to where the rest of our large
group was waiting, yelling, “I have great news!
Rocco is pregnant!” Sure enough,
Cameron delivered the baby shortly thereafter. I don’t know where she comes up
with these things, but life is never dull when Ellie is around.
Most of
the time, Hadley is as sweet as they come.
Sometimes, she is a total drama queen.
We love her either way, but especially when she is sweet. Last
Spring, we stopped by the elementary school and I asked her if she was excited
to start school there in a few months. She replied, “Of course I’m excited. I’ve been waiting my whole life to be done
with preschool.” She started
kindergarten in the fall and mostly loves it.
When she comes in the door after three hours of school and tells me that
she had a really long day, I just smile and think to myself, “Oh darlin’, just
you wait.” A few weeks ago, I was
cleaning out her dresser with her, getting rid of things that don’t fit or that
she never wears. I would hold up items
in question and ask, “Are you ever going to wear this?” I held up a long-sleeved black shirt and
asked her the question. She immediately responded, “Only if I am ever
going to be a spy.” With no spy jobs in
her foreseeable future, we got rid of the shirt. She cracks us up with the funny things she
says. Recently, she was helping me fold
laundry when she came upon a pair of her own shorts and said to me, “These
shorts are so warm, Mom. Thanks for
cooking them up!” Last summer, she came
in the house crying and yelling, “Ellie said I can have a turn in 70 seconds
and I can’t even count that high!!” You would have thought the world was ending. Hadley’s favorites include her blanket,
“Bluey,” her stuffed animals, her thumb, her friends and her mom (I’m still on
the list!).
If you
asked our kids what is the biggest best thing that happened to our family this
year, every single one of them would say the same thing. We got a dog!
Yep, you read that right. After
18 years of holding my ground, I finally caved.
I don’t know what made me do it.
Temporary insanity is a pretty good guess. The truth is, I decided that I was spending
too much time worrying about things that, in the end, don’t matter, and I made
a decision that I wanted my kids to have memories more than I wanted a perfect
house and yard (and they wore me down
with their incessant begging and pleading until I cracked under the pressure… a
person can only take so much). A dog has
been every bit as much of a pain as I thought it would be. She shreds stuffed animals. She eats shoes and books (and banana bread
from the counter when we aren’t looking).
She pulls up sprinkler tubing.
She makes messes in the yard. She
makes messes in the house. But if you
could be there when my kids all come home from school, you would know why I am
glad I caved. One by one, they come in
the door, and one by one, they greet her with love and enthusiasm and joy
beyond anything I’ve ever witnessed from them.
They love her. They serve
her. They put up with her when she
messes up and even when she eats their stuff.
Time and time again. They just
keep loving her. Emi is teaching them what
unconditional love feels like, and for that reason, I am glad we have her
(although, if you ask me on the wrong day, I might not admit it).
I love
this season. I especially love the
reason for this season. A long time ago,
a Baby was born and changed everything.
For
everyone.
To the
world, and each and every soul that would ever live upon it, that Baby brought
hope, love, life, joy and peace. He
brought the promise of forever and, even better, the possibility of forever
with our loved ones. He conquered death
so that we could too. He brought second
chances and fresh starts; as many as we need.
He brought healing and wholeness, forgiveness and freedom. Each gift he brought is a miracle that holds
the power to change a life. Every life.
My life
has been changed. And for that, I am
forever grateful.
Merry Christmas from our house to yours,
Cameron, Amy, Austin, Ashleigh, Hayden, Ellie
and Hadley
