Background Template

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Christmas Letter 2012


Dear Family and Friends:                                                                                                                      

It is hard to believe that another year has gone by.  Merry Christmas!  Our family is well, and we hope the same is true for each of you.  Our kids are busier than ever, which means we spend most of our time just trying to keep up with them. 

Austin will turn 16 in May (translation: this kid could be driving unsupervised down your street and dating your daughter in a few short months; don’t say I didn’t warn you!).   I’m not sure who is more excited –he to drive or me to not, as I am definitely looking forward to being fired from my position as his personal chauffer.  He finished his Eagle in May (Hallelujah!).  We dropped off the final paperwork and, within an hour, signed a contract on his long-awaited cell phone.  He promptly recorded the voicemail message to sound like he was actually answering the phone.   He did such a good job that I fell for his clever trick every. single. time.  I would hear his voice say, “hello,” and start talking for several seconds before being cut off and realizing that I was actually talking to myself.  This went on for months.  I never learned my lesson and every encounter I had with his blasted voicemail left me wanting to throw his phone from the nearest mountaintop.  He finally took mercy on me and changed the message –thank goodness.  He is doing great in school and no longer requires us to nag him to do his best.  He actually, really, truly cares about his grades!  His favorite subjects are History and French, and he is currently trying to figure out how to get himself to France.  I tell him to keep dreaming because I have lived way longer than he has, and I have yet to go myself.

Ashleigh is a “sevie” this year (this is what everyone at her school calls the seventh graders).  Junior High has been an adjustment, but she is doing great.  She has lots of cute friends and has been able to avoid most of the drama that is normally associated with this time in life.  She is a talented girl and still loves to stay busy.  She is taking sewing, voice and piano lessons (all half-time lest you think we are crazy), and is still clogging every week.  She played lacrosse this fall, but whether she liked it enough to stick with it is pending.  Ashleigh will be a teenager by the end of the month and has already acquired a taste for all the things that teenagers like:  music, clothes, shoes, jewelry and makeup.  Her favorite destination is the mall.  She tells me that she even loves the way it smells there.  I tell her to get a job ASAP, because it smells expensive to me.  Ashleigh loves to make crafts and bake goodies.  I once heard a quote that said something like, “a messy kitchen is a happy kitchen.”  If that is true, then our kitchen is never happier than when Ashleigh is trying out a new recipe.  She discovered Pinterest this year and regularly stalks my boards for fresh ideas.  I should probably be glad that someone is making use of all the time I waste on that website.  She is very creative, and it has been fun to see her learn and try new things.

Hayden is still our avid, over-the-top BYU fan.  I went to a basketball game with Cameron last month and, a few minutes into the game, I realized that I had missed 5 phone calls and had 3 voicemail messages from home.  Each was from Hayden.  In the first message, he wanted to know what channel the game was on because he could not find it on TV.  The second one was the same, but he was stressed because he knew the game had started and he was missing it.  By the third message he was in a full-blown panic.  Each message was left within one minute of the previous message, equaling a grand total of three minutes that it took for him to arrive at a complete melt down.  A true fan for sure.  Hayden played flag football again this year and loved every minute of it.  He is excited to play Jr. Jazz basketball this winter.  He rarely goes to school without some kind of a ball in his hand or backpack.  His Christmas wish-list includes a soccer goal and Under Armor (because it makes you play better football, right?).  I think it is safe to say that he loves sports.   He also loves shoes.  I don’t know how it happened, but I have a son with a shoe fetish.  He is always asking for a new pair of shoes.  The problem is, I don’t believe in buying shoes unless they are needed, and he just doesn’t need any more.  He already has cleats, flip-flops, tennis shoes, hiking boots, winter boots and church shoes –more than enough, if you ask me.  He doesn’t agree, and has added new shoes to his Christmas list as well.  I would really like to ask Santa if any other nine-year-old boy has requested shoes this year or if Hayden is the only one.

Ellie is in first grade and trying to like being at school all day.  Every time I drive carpool the last thing she says to me before pushing the car door shut is, “When can I get checked out early from school?”  In the past, she has been checked out for doctor and dental appointments.  I can’t decide if she would really rather receive immunizations or have cavities filled than go to school, or if she is just trying to extend the goodbye process.  I say process, because with her, a proper goodbye is just that.  According to her rules, we are required to give her a hug and a kiss, tell her how long we will be gone (which she then promptly translates into how many sessions of general conference this amount of time is equivalent to), say the exact words “goodbye” and “I love you,” and wave.  If we miss a step…let’s just say we never miss a step.  She is headstrong (for good or for bad), smart, and plenty sassy.  We get a kick out of her when she is in a good mood and try to stay out of her way when she is not.  One thing that sets Ellie apart from many other six-year-olds is that she loves to eat her vegetables.  She was delighted to discover that we had green bell peppers growing in the garden this summer and would often pick and wash and eat them like an apple.  One day, she accidentally picked and bit into a jalapeño pepper instead.  She came into the house with tears streaming down her face, holding the remaining half of the offending pepper in hand and demanded, “What is wrong with this pepper – it is SO hot!”  Funny girl!

Hadley is our little melt-your-heart, snuggle-bunny of a girl.  She will bring her favorite blanket, “Pinkie” (which used to actually be pink, and is now quite threadbare and not very pink at all) and curl up in my lap for long stretches of time.  She likes to twist her blanket between two fingers on one hand and suck her thumb on the other while we rock or read stories together.  She is a real mama’s girl right now which is both a blessing and a curse.  Most of the time I love it, but sometimes I wish she would let her dad carry her to bed, brush her teeth, read her a story, help her with prayers, tuck her in, bring her a drink, turn on her night-light, adjust her door just right, and then tuck her in and adjust her door five more times when she gets up for more drinks and trips to the bathroom (can you say high maintenance?).   She and I have an ongoing negotiation between us.  I tell her that I want her to stay little forever and offer her all kinds of crazy bribes if she will just stop getting bigger.  I can usually talk her into agreeing to the deal and sometimes we even shake on it.  Then, out of nowhere, and in the most random places she will announce very loudly for all to hear, “Mom!  I’m growing up!”, as if she just saw it happen in that very moment.   And with that, we begin a new round of negotiations.   Her favorite punch line to ANY joke is “chicken nugget!”  For some reason, she thinks this is so funny and, while I can’t explain why, somehow, the rest of us do too.   Nuts.

Last week in church, I was thumbing through my scriptures, reading different passages that I had previously highlighted when I came across Luke 19:10: “The Son of God is come to seek and to save that which was lost.”  I was struck with the power of these words as I realized that in this single sentence He tells us why He came.  He came to seek; He came to save…that which was lost.  Whether we realize it or not, every single one of us is lost to the Father without the Son.  He is called the Savior of the world for a reason—because His purpose is to save us.  This scripture also speaks to me of His power to save and redeem that which is lost to each of us in this life.  When Annie died, we lost a precious daughter, a baby sister, a piece of ourselves, and part of our hearts.  Not a day goes by that we don’t ache for that which we have lost.  We know that we are not alone, that many are suffering, and that loss is an inevitable part of this life.  However, we also know that because He came “to save,” these things are not lost from us forever.  Words cannot begin to express our gratitude for this.  And then there is the promised seeking.  From this verse of scripture, we know that He is seeking us, and we feel to ask ourselves: 

Are we seeking Him?

Merry Christmas,
 
Cameron, Amy, Austin, Ashleigh, Hayden, Ellie and Hadley Sabin