Background Template

Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day 2013

Our family's Memorial Day tradition dates back to when I was a little girl.  Back then, we met our cousins at the zoo every year on this day.  It has nothing to do with the holiday, but we loved it!  My parents continued this tradition with their own grandchildren, and now my kids love it.  I'm not a huge fan of zoos, but once a year, with cousins and aunts and uncles, is just right.
 
We always arrive bright and early so we can beat the crowds.  By the time we leave, the place is a zoo (in more ways than one- ha!).
 
 
 
 
This year we ran into a great big snake right away.  Pretty gross... I mean cool.  Hadley would have none of it, but the other kids were excited to pet the slithering, scaly creature.
 
I was with Hadley on this one.  No, thank you!

 
My girls (and Hadley, especially) were never far from their Papa.

He was a good sport.

He always is.
 

 
Ellie made herself quite comfy waiting for the elephant to "sneeze."  He never did... must have been too early for that?
 
 
 
We made the rounds in  a couple of hours, saw the bird show,

let the little kids ride the carousel,

 
and we found Annie's stone (placed as a gift from one of Cameron's partners... such a sweet reminder of her).
 
 
By the time we left, the girls were tired of walking.  I knew we should have brought the stroller.  Sorry about that, Austin!

 
We then headed to Papa's house for a barbecue and swimming at his neighborhood pool. 
 
In the evening, we went to visit Annie's grave.  The cemetery was beautiful.  It always touches my heart to see so many flower representing so much love for these people that have passed on. 
 
Missing my baby tonight.